Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Creating an Outdoor Room

With more and more people staying home these days, dining in has become extremely popular.
Most of us in California and other warm states can comfortably eat outdoors March through the end of September. Why not maximize your space by creating an outdoor room? You'll save money and won't have to worry about overstaying your welcome at a restaurant with time constraints.

The first step is to clean your patio. Power wash if you need to. Next, visit Target for a neutral-colored outdoor rug. This will create the illusion of another room. Imagine having another family room! I found beautiful patio furniture last year on sale at Target. The base is a chocolate-brown wrought iron and the cushions are a peppery terra cotta. I picked up a few inexpensive cushions in fun accent colors to complete the look. Add some pizazz with glimmering hanging lanterns.

Now, I did keep my tried-and-true (ugly and outdated) outdoor table. I gave it a quick makeover with a pretty tablecloth. In the center of the table, I used a wrought iron round tray. Inside I placed a pretty flower pot and $6.99 gorgeous hot orange flowers from Trader Joe's.
Stunning hanging baskets - Wisteria Planters with Hangers from Southern Living at Home - tied everything together. I attached three to my overhang. Because they are high, I used red faux geraniums from Joanne's ($9.99 each). I am a stickler about faux flowers - they have to look real. There's nothing worse than cheap, plastic flowers. However, these ones really do look real and come in baskets of red and white.

To complete your look, add artwork outside. I picked up a city-chic painting of the Eiffel Tower last summer at Target. Last week I found a black, wrought iron stand at Ross for Less for just $19.99. When guests come to visit, I place the painting on the stand and crank up my favorite Parisian cafe CD.

See? It doesn't have to expensive. A few quick tricks will help you to save money, dine in, relax and enjoy your favorite people just a little bit more.

written by Antonia Ehlers
SF Budget Decorating Exhaminer, fellow SLAH sister, and friend!

No comments: